|Ayutthaya Thailand||Ayutthaya - Bangkok - Ayutthaya|
|Ayutthaya Restaurant||Ayutthaya Historical Park|
Bang Pa-in Palace (พระราชวังบางปะอิน)
Location : Bang Len Sub-district, Bang Pa-In District
Bang Pa-in Palace build during the reign of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) to serve as a summer palace of Ayutthaya kings which it is a complex of royal residences first built in around the 17th century. Bang Pa-in Palace building have features different architectural style such as Aisawan Tippaya Asna Pavilion set in the middle of the lake features traditional Thai style embedded with colorful glass mosaics while Wehat Chamroon Palace was built in a traditional Chinese style with materials imported from China. Wehat Chamroon Palace is the only royal residence currently open to public. During the reign of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) he regularly spent his summers at Bang Pa-in Palace with his royal consorts.
It was later abandoned and ruined until King Mongkut (Rama IV) restored the complex. On the other side finds a monument of Queen Sunanta, King Rama V's royal consort, and their son who were died in a boat accident. Bang Pa-in Palace is, slightly similar to the Grand Palace, divided into two zones: the outer zone for royal ceremonies and the inner zone that is reserved only for the king, his consorts and their small children.
Places of interest in outer zone:
Ho Hemmonthian Thewarat
King Rama V ordered construction Ho Hemmonthian Thewarat in 1879 to replace an old shrine built by villagers as an offering to King Prasatthong of the Ayutthaya period. It is the stone Prang (pagoda) under a banyan tree near the pond within the outer part of the royal court, where an image of a deity is housed.
Aisawanthipphaya-At Pavilion was built in the reign of King Rama V which it is a Thai design pavilion in the middle of the pond. Originally built of wood throughout, King Rama VI commanded to change the floor and pillars to be reinforced concrete.
It was formerly a two-story wooden villa served as a royal living quarter and throne hall. Later during his reign, King Rama V ordered the reconstruction, replacing with a European-style to serve as a throne hall for royal ceremonies.
Saphakhan Ratchaprayun is two-storey building and it is an exhibition hall displaying the history of Bang Pa-in Palace. In past it was a resident of relatives of the king and non-consort members.
Places of interest in inner zone:
Phra Thinang Utthayan Phumisathian
It is a 2-story, pink-colored, Victorian style mansion serving as a residence for members of the royal family and their guests. The only mansion in Bang Pa-in Palace that is not open to public, this building is actually a new building ordered a construction by HM Queen Sirikit in 1938 to replace the old one, which was made of wood in Swiss chalet style and was burnt down in a fire accident.
Wehat Chamrun Hall
It was the latest mansion during the reign of King Rama V, built in 1889 as the royal offering by the wealthy Chinese merchants led by Phraya Choduk Ratchasetthi (Fak). The mansion was crafted in traditional Chinese Emperor style and was used as a royal residence for King Rama V, his queen and their son, King Rama VI during a royal visit in the cool.
This three-storey, tower-style building was used as the view spot to see the royal elephants and the surrounding area.
|How to get there :||
From Bangkok, take Phahon Yothin Road until Pratu Nam Phra In. Cross the outer ring bridge and turn left around Km.35 for approximately 7 kilometres to Bang Pa-In palace, or pass to Ayutthaya and turn left at Chedi Wat Sam Pluem Circle via Wat Yai Chai Mongkhon, Wat Phananchoeng, Amphoe Bang Pa-in to Bang Pa-in Railway Station, turn right to Bang Pa-In Palace
1. Take Highway No.1 (Phahonyothin Road.) then take Highway No.32 to Ayutthaya.
2. Take Highway No.304 (Chaeng-Watthana Road.) or take Highway No.302 (Ngamwongwan Road.) ; turn righ to Highway No.306 (Tiwanon Road.), then take Highway No.3111 (Pathum Thani-Samkhok-Sena) and turn right at Amphoe Sena to Highway No.3263
3. Take Highway No.306 (Bangkok - Nonthaburi - Pathum Thani Road.) then take Highway No.347
From Bangkok Northern Bus Terminal, on Kamphaeng Phet 2 Road, there are buses to Bang Pa-in daily every 30 minutes. For more details, please call Tel. 0 2936 2852-66 or click www.transport.co.th and Ayutthaya Bus Terminal, Tel. 0 3533 5304
|Opening hours :||Daily from 08:00 a.m. - 05:00 p.m.|
|Contact :||0 3526 1548|
Ayothaya Floating Market (ตลาดน้ำอโยธยา)
Location : Phai Ling Sub-district, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Ayothaya Floating Market or ayutthaya floating market covered an area about 96,000 Sqare meter. This floating market is retro antique markets which there are a lot of shops & restaurants to serve to tourists such as souvenir shop, OTOP products shop, clothing fashion shop, variety of food & beverages shop, and Thai restaurants. In addition tourists can take the boat to see the atmosphere of the market or ride Elephant to see the historic site of Wat Maheyong temple. Ayothaya Floating Market will have a lot of tourists both Thai and Foreigner on weekend and public holiday.
|How to get there :||Take mini-bus or tuk tuk from downtown Ayutthaya|
|Opening hours :||Daily from 10:00 a.m. - 09:00 p.m.|
|Admission fees :||
(20 baht for boat trips around floating market, 100 baht for ride elephant)
|Contact :||0 3588 1733|
Ancient Palace (พระราชวังโบราณ)
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
The ancient palace or the Royal Palace is located close to the city wall of Ayutthaya near Wat Mongkol Borpit temple. It has only the remains of the building’s base now. The ancient palace was built in reign of King U-Thong in 1347. Once he successfully formed Bangkok in 1350, he moved to stay in this new palace near Nhon Sanon. The area, where Phra Thinang or throne halls were built by wood, now becomes the area of Wat Phra Si Sanphet. Later in 1448, King Phra Borom Trai Lokkanart offered the area of the former palace to be built as a temple in the royal palace area which this temple is “Wat Phra Si Sanphet”. Wat Phra Si Sanphet is there with the glamorous architecture. Then he ordered to build a new royal palace located in the North close to Lopburi River. The palaces in the former palace area were the residences of every king in Ayutthaya period.
Tourists can use Wat Mongkol Borphit’s entrance and pass Wat Phra Si Sanphet, which has beautifully narrated pagodas, then continue walking to the ancient palace. The ancient palace divided into 3 parts: the outer area, the middle area and the inner area.
The outer palace area
It is the location of Phra Thinang Chakkrawat Phaichayon which was used to observe the procession and the performance. Moreover, it is consisted of many government offices such as jury court, royal court and account list court.
The middle palace area
It is the location of three great Maha Prasart which are Phra Thinang Viharn Somdej, Phra Thinang Sanphet Prasart, the main residence of the King, and Phra Thinang Suriya Amarin, which is believed to be the place where the Phra Narai’s remain is kept.
The inner palace area
It is the location of Phra Thinang Banyong Ratanart, Rong Kriang Ton, Phra Thinang Trimook, Phra Thinang Song Puen and the residences of the officers who work in the palace.
|How to get there :||Take the road around the city, drive pass Wang Chan Kasem Palace for only 2 kilometers away to the north and you will reach the ancient palace or the Royal Palace.|
|Opening hours :||Daily from 07:00 a.m. - 06:30 p.m.
The special event at this palace starts from 07:30 p.m. - 09:00 p.m.
(where there are lighting tour for observing the ancient palace. The light and darkness will provide you another experience differently from the daytime visiting)
|Admission fees :||30 baht for foreigner, 10 baht for Thai adult|
|Contact :||0 3524 2501, 0 3524 4570|
Chao Sam Phraya National Museum (พิพิธภัณฑ์ เจ้าสามพระยา)
Location : Opposite to Rajabhat University, Rotchana Road, Pratu Chai Sub-district, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District.
Chao Sam Phraya National Museum was the first museum in Thailand that displays items in the western, modern style which this museum was built to collect and display antiques, Buddha images and precious items found in the underground crypts of the prang (pagoda) tower of Wat Ratchaburana. The museum was named after the king who ordered the construction of Wat Ratchaburana, King Borommarachathirat II or Chao Sam Phraya.
Exhibitions are displayed in three buildings, featuring artifacts in different time periods from archaeological excavations around Thailand.
This building are displayed antiques in different time periods between 1956-1957 from archaeological excavations and renovations around Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Province. Such as buddha images in Dvaravati, Ayutthaya and Lopburi style, for example a buddha image sits dangling his feet which is a white stone buddha image in Dvaravati style. U Thong buddha image's heads and Ayutthaya wood carvings are also displayed here. Upstairs displays gold artifacts in two rooms. First room exhibits the ones found in the underground crypts of the prang tower of Wat Ratchaburana in 1957. Second room shows the ones found in the underground crypts of the prang tower of Wat Mahatat which contained Buddha's bones in a gold casket. Outside on the balcony there are showcases of votive tablets made of Chin, a kind of mixed metal consists of lead and tin and bronze, and Sukhothai and Lopburi and Ayutthaya earthenwares.
This building are displayed ancient artifacts found in 11-24 Buddhist century i.e since Srivijaya, Dvaravati, Lopburi, Chiang Saen, Sukhothai, U Thong, Ayutthaya and Rattanakosin, for comparative studies.
This building is a group of central Thai traditional style houses in the center of a pool. Inside there are ancient Thai household appliances and folk arts displayed. These artifacts of Ayutthaya glorious past are academically interesting.
|How to get there :||Start from Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Province downtown then go across Somdet Phra Naresuan the Great bridge then go straight through 2 traffic lights, the latter on lies near Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya Court, the museum is on the right.|
|Opening hours :||Wednesday - Sunday from 09:00 a.m. - 04:00 p.m.
(Closed on Monday and Tuesday and national holidays)
|Admission fees :||150 baht for foreigner, 30 baht for Thai|
|Contact :||0 3524 1587|
Ayutthaya Temples (วัดจังหวัดอยุธยา)
Wat Phanan Choeng (วัดพนัญเชิง)
Location : Khlong Suan Plu Sub-district , Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Wat Phanan Choeng was built in reign of Phra Chao Sai Namphung, the ruler of Ayotthaya which the temple has been built before the establishment of Ayutthaya as the capital city, there is no clear record about its founder. Phra Chao Sai Namphung built at the royal cremation site of Phra Nang Soi Dok Mak and named the temple “Wat Phra Chao Nang Choeng” (or Wat Phra Nang Choeng). In addition, you will find the shrine of Chao mae Soi Dok Mak, the Chinese architecture enshrining the statue of Chao mae Soi Dok Mak in Chinese costume. The sacred statue is known as “chu-sae-near” and widely worshipped by the Chinese.
The assembly hall (vihara) houses a majestic Buddha image cast in B.E. 1324, 26 years before the establishment of Ayutthaya. This Buddha image was formerly called “Phra Buddha Chao Phanan Choeng”, until King Rama IV renamed it “Phra Buddha Trirattana Nayok”. It was built of stucco in subduing Mara posture and was magnificently lacquered and gilt. In front of the Buddha Image are a talipot fan and 2 statues of disciples made of stucco sitting on its left- and right- hand side. The columns inside the assembly hall were decorated with red painting of Phum Khao Bin pattern. The capitals of the columns were ornamented with stucco multi-petal lotus flowers. All the 4 walls were indented to make several chambers which enshrine 84,000 small Buddha images. The wooden front doors were craved exquisitely with Kan Khod pattern, a distinctive feature of Ayutthya Art.
The ordination hall (ubosot) houses Sukhothai-style Buddha images. Viharn Sien in front of the main assembly hall is a rectangular building whose walls decorated by mural painting. The traditional Thai architectural sermon hall is made of wood. Its pediment was ornamented with a gable apex and ridges. The crossbeam inside was covered with the painting portraying the life of the Lord Buddha.
|How to get there :||Wat Phanan Choeng is located on the south bank Of Pasak River opposite the downtownz. From Wat Yai Chai Monkon, make a left turn and keep going for a kilometer, you will find Wat Phanan Choeng on your right.|
|Opening hours :||Daily from 08:00 a.m. - 05:00 p.m.|
|Admission fees :||20 baht for foreigner, free of charge for Thai.|
|Contact :||0 3524 1708|
Wat Phra Ram (วัดพระราม)
Location : Pratu Chai Sub-district , Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Wat Phra Ram is a significant historical site which the architecture of the temple remains mysterious whether such arrangement was intentionally meant to serve some purposes. The debris found in Wat Phra Ram include the Prang, temple walls, pillars inside the ordination hall, 7 assembly halls, assorted sizes of 28 pagodas dotting around the Prang. Even though the temple is in ruin, its eternal charm still portrays the glorious history of Thais.
In addition Wat Phra Ram is commonly known among Ayutthaya residents as a recreational area. There is a large-scale swamp located in front of the temple. It is named Bung Phra Ram Public Park, or formerly called Nong Sano or Bung Che Khan as stated in the Monarch Law. When the city of Ayutthaya was established, soil under the swamp has been dug out to raise the foundation grade of the temple. The size of the swamp is thus enormous. Phra Ramesuan ordered the construction of the temple in 1369 at his father’s cremation site. However the completion actually took place during the reign of Somdet Phra Borommaracha I (Phra Chao U-thong), so the temple was named after the king.
Wat Phra Ram arrangement forms a quincunx where the main Prang (Khmer-influenced stupa) is in the middle. The Prang sits on a massive square platform with arch facades on its west. Its 4 corners are surrounded by Himmaphan mythical creatures. Observational remarks made by archeologists on the architecture of the temple are that the Northern temple wall overlaps with the Eastern, Western and Southern ones; and that the arch facade in the West is proportional to the Northwestern cloister of the Prang, while the Northwestern cloister does not even have any arch facade.
|How to get there :||Wat Phra Ram stands outside the royal court complex to the East and is opposite the assembly hall of Wat Phra Mongkhon Bophit. Its current location is Pratu Chai Sub-district, Phra Nakorn Si Ayutthaya (Krung Kao) District.|
|Opening hours :||Daily from 08:00 a.m. - 09:00 p.m.,
(Hours with spotlights from 07.30 p.m. - 09.00 p.m.)
|Admission fees :||40 baht for foreigner, 10 baht for Thai|
Wat Maheyong (วัดมเหยงคณ์)
Location : Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Wat Maheyong has declared as a national historical site by the Fine Arts Department which the temple was appointed a royal monastery and in addition to the wall of the ordination hall, Wat Maheyong has a lot more wonders. Wat Maheyong was abandoned due to the collapse of Ayutthaya in 1767. Yet its remarkable origin indicated the spiritual development of each individual involving with the construction and restoration for several 100 years. The temple is Dhamma Chaksu Ground which was formerly called Khok Bodhi which believed that this area might be the royal pavilion of Phrachao Tabeng-Shweti, ruler of Hongsawadee. Dhamma Chaksu Ground was a rectangular-shaped mound or a heaped pile of earth measuring 58 meters by 50 meters.
Wat Maheyong underwent a major restoration in the reign of Somdet Phrachao Yuhua Thai Sa. In this occasion the king also had small pagodas and other structures, judging from several small heaped piles of earth and tile fragments. There were 2 Ceylonese pagodas located east of the assembly hall. Each pagoda stands on a square-shaped foundation with sides of 10 meters. The octagonal base has a diameter of 8 meters to suit the size of the bell-shaped dome. The rings entwining around the pagoda were 5 layers of wire, and the cylinder was quadrilateral. However, the topmost structure left was the spire because the minaret has broken. Inside the ordination hall, there were 2 large pedestals of dilapidated sandstone Buddha images. This ordination hall was surrounded by 2 rows of cloisters with indented corners, and each corner was decorated by a small Ceylonese pagoda and a green leaf-like boundary stone.
At present, the temple provides spiritually related activities in which Buddhists can participate, such as Nekkhamma Pavana on religious events, the 9-day meditation workshop which takes place monthly, the practice of 8 basic precepts on every observance day, Dhamma teaching program for public and private sectors, as well as bhikkhu(monk) and novice ordination.
|Opening hours :||Daily from 08:00 a.m. - 05:00 p.m.|
Wat Tha Ka Rong (วัดท่าการ้อง)
Location : On the bank of Chao Phraya River, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District
Wat Tha Ka Rong is a beautiful ancient temple was established in the middle Ayuddhaya period and there is Wat Tha Ka Rong Floating Market close to the temple. The beautiful ubosot crafted wooden gable and the door frame and windows decorated with stuccos. Inside the ubosot is situated ‘Kuang Phor Yim’ or Phra Buddha Rattana Mongkol which is the main Buddha image of the temple. The front of the ubosot is decorated with coloured pieces of glass. Wat Tha Ka Rong was merging of the two temples, Wat Tha and Wat Ka Rong, which were built around 1549.The establishment went unwritten.
Another attraction is the bell tower, which was built during the reign of Somdej Phra Narai Maharat. The octagonal tower was constructed from brick and plaster work. In addition, behind the ubosot is located an old sermon hall, a valuable Teak Thai house which dates back hundreds of years to the days of Ayutthaya.
Wat Tha Ka Rong was merely mentioned in the royal chronicles as the campsite for the Burmese troops for two times. The first time was during the reign of Somdet Phra Maha Chakkraphat in 1563, when King Tabinshwehti and his army encamped at the temple during the ‘White Elephant War’. The second time was during the reign of King Ekkathat when the Burmese general Ne Myo Thihapate invaded Ayutthaya in 1767. In addition the tourist will see ‘Wat Tha Ka Rong Floating Market’ which there is a variety of food and other products are available at this waterfront market by Chao Phraya River. The market is open from 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Another highlight here is the clean toilet with a remarkable design, now guaranteed by the national best toilet award.
|How to get there :||From Asia Road, head towards the center of Ayutthaya. Cross over the large bridge and pass Rajabhat Phra Nakorn Si Ayutthaya University, and then turn left at the t-junction in front of the old city hall. Head towards Ayutthaya Hospital and turn right. Drive past the palace and turn left at the junction to cross over the bridge. Turn right at the next junction and drive along the irrigation canal. At the next right turn, follow the sign of the entrance to Wat Tha Ka Rong.|
|Opening hours :||Daily from 08:00 a.m. - 06:00 p.m.|